Preparing your Caravan
It’s that time of year caravanners look forward to the most – time for a service and preparing for the start of the new season and the first trip away of the year. Just as you prepare your caravan to survive the cold winter months, you have to make sure your Inos is ready to use in spring (unless you frequently brave the winter weather!). Using your caravan for the first time after winter is always an exciting event, but it’s important that you check for any signs of damage that may have occurred over the winter period.
Here’s what you need to do to prepare for your first outing:
- Check your Tyres – One of the first things you should check are your tyres. As you may know, it is important that you rotate your Inos’ wheels periodically over winter so that the weight isn’t concentrated on one section of the tyres over a long period of time. When checking your tyres it’s important that you look for signs of cracking or bulging and top up the air pressure.
- Spotting signs of damp – Damp is a caravan’s biggest enemy as if its left alone it can quickly cause a huge amount of damage, making it vital that you spot the signs as early as possible and deal with the problem immediately. Check around windows doors, and skylights for signs of any leaks and also give all upholstery a once over for any signs of damp. If you spot the damp early it can generally be fixed with a dehumidifier or even a few hours of fresh air circulating.
- Safety and Security – It is important to test all of your security equipment is in full working order before setting out on your first trip of the season. Check the alarm still activates. And for some of you with a tracker it might also be worth moving it a few miles away and calling the monitoring centre to make sure they can get its location.
- Spring clean – Keeping your Inos clean on the inside and out will help prolong its life and keep it in tip top condition. This is not only important for the enjoyment of your caravanning holidays, but also means that if you decide to upgrade your Inos in the future then you will get a better price when trading in.
- Servicing – most caravan insurers recommend getting your caravan serviced every year to ensure no issues surface whilst on the road or at a campsite. At this time of year we do get busy with customers wanting a service on their Inos’ therefore we would recommend booking early to ensure your Inos is ready to go on your first holiday.
You can book a service for your Inos by calling our sales department on 01745 583000 or email Sales@fifthwheelco.com